Friday, December 6, 2013

Taking Desperate Measures

When Mike finished working on Desperate Measures I spent a lot of time trying to work out what I list wanted to build from the book. Normally I find a list in each book that really excites me and like most wargamers I end up stashing some lead for when I am “definitely going to paint this!” This time I found it hard to find that one list that I had to make. I like the lists in the book and I own armies for both the Germans and Soviets so it should have been easy to pick something.

Looking through the book I started to narrow it down a little:
The Soviets
  • Tankovy Batalon – I have something like 40-50 T-34s painted and whilst I need to do some of the support units (like artillery) it didn’t feel like a painting project when I was only painting odds and ends – that is more of a “two weeks before a tournament” project.
  • Motorstrelkovy Batalon – I really want a massive Soviet infantry army…. But I am not sure about committing to that amount of painting given my magpie painting habits.
  • Medium Self-propelled Artillery Regiment – okay, this one is low hanging fruit and will definitely hit the painting table… but I thought I would wait for the plastic SU-100 and I wanted to paint something now!
  • Hero versions of the above – these are very exciting and was lucky enough to run one in a WI battle report. Running non Hen & Chicks T-34s is a liberating experience after playing Soviets for so long. Plus you do not need to paint as many figures, but the issues I had with the non Hero versions carried over to these companies too.
The Germans
  • Panzer Kampfgruppe – I have no painted German tanks that I am happy with (with the exception of Kampfgruppe Bake, but they are white!), so this list was a chance to do whatever I wanted, plus it had all the toys. If only I could settle on a list…
  • Panzergrenadier Kampfgruppe – PzGrens in 251s are on my “armies I must repaint before I die” list…. But not right now…
  • Panzer Ausbildungs Verband – see my thoughts on the Panzer Kampfgruppe
  • Panzer Ausbildungs Abteilung 500 – Crikey! Discounted Tigers and King Tigers thanks to the lack of Stormtrooper and the vehicles being unreliable…. You had me at discounted Tigers and King Tigers!
Looking through the PAA 500 list I did notice that it is a pretty tight list with a small number of support options. Normally this would run the risk of putting me off a little, but in this case I wanted something fun and compact that I could paint as a small self contained project. I also saw it as a gateway to start painting figures for the other German companies in the book. For instance if I took a pair of infantry platoons this would get me the start of my PzGren infantry as well (especially given the announcement of the plastic Sd Kfz 251). Tigers, Panthers and King Tigers always have a use in other lists! As for the AA, it did not matter which option I picked as you always need a cheap platoon of AA to round out a force.

In the end I settled on a couple of lists that I knew would cover my bases.


1500 points

HQ Platoon
1 Tiger I E    155 points

Combat Platoons
Schwere Panzer Ausbildungs Platoons
2 Tiger I E    280 points
2 Tiger I E    280 points
2 Konigstiger (Porshe)    445 points

Weapons Platoons
Panzergrenadier Ausbildungs Platoons
3 Grenadier Squads with 6 Rifle/MG teams and Panzerschreck team    130 points
3 Grenadier Squads with 6 Rifle/MG teams and Panzerschreck team    130 points

Support Platoons
Luftwaffe Light Anti-aircraft Gun Platoon
3 3.7cm FlaK43    65 points

1750 points
HQ Platoon
2 Tiger I E    310 points

Combat Platoons
Schwere Panzer Ausbildungs Platoons
2 Tiger I E    280 points
2 Tiger I E    280 points
2 Konigstiger (Porshe)    445 points

Leichte Panzer Ausbildungs Platoon
4 Panzer III N     180 points

Weapons Platoons
Panzergrenadier Ausbildungs Platoon
3 Grenadier "Sniper" Squads with 6 Rifle/Panzerfaust teams and Panzerschreck team    190 points

Support Platoons
Luftwaffe Light Anti-aircraft Gun Platoon
3 3.7cm FlaK43    65 points


So, I have achieved the “fun” part of Theory-Flames, now I need to work out how I am going to get it all painted!

1 comment:

The Kiwi said...

Looking forward to getting my hands on the book. I got 2 kingtigers in the to do list.
cheers